|This article is about a/an show in the Tokusatsu Super Hero subgenre.|
|Seiun Kamen Machineman|
|Number of episodes:||36|
|First episode:||The White Textbook Case|
|Original airing:||January 13,1984 - September 28,1984|
Seiun Kamen Machineman (星雲仮面マシンマン Seiun Kamen Mashinman, translated as "Nebula Mask Machineman) is a Japanese Tokusatsu television series created by Shotaro Ishinomori and produced by Toei Company. It aired from January 13th until September 28th, 1984. It revolves around the adventures of Nick (Nikku), a college student from the Ivy planet (located at the Pleiades) and his arrival on Earth to study the earthlings' behavior. Upon arrival, he is called in for the activities of the evil organization called "Tentacle", whose don, Professor K, wishes to eliminate all children in the world.
Several of the series' aspects are rumored to have been inspired by American DC Comics superhero Superman, although this was never confirmed by either Ishinomori or Toei.
On April 2020, Machineman became one of the 70 shows to stream on the Toei Tokusatsu World Youtube channel.
Travelling in the spaceship "Space Colony", Nick, with the help of his ball-shaped robot "Ball Boy", arrive on Earth to study the behaviour and manners of human beings for his doctoral degree thesis. Under the human identity of a young man named Ken Takase, he meets Maki Hayama, a photographer at Shukan Hit newspaper, and later saves her from a building fall. Maki was taking pictures for a scoop about a building which had been mysteriously demolished. Later, she and Ken find that the evil organization "Tentacle" is behind the demolitions and other evil deeds around the world. Nick then decides to extend his stay on Earth and uses his advanced technology and superior powers to protect his Maki and the children of Earth under the alter-ego Machineman, a red and yellow suited superhero. Armed with an advanced technology weapons, he begins fighting Tentacle's cyborgs and protect humankind.</span>
A few episodes later, Machineman succeeds in dismantling Tentacle; however, Professor K flees to Spain and his niece, Lady M, appears. With her aide Tonchinkan, they establish a new organization called "Octopus". Like her uncle, she is allergic to children (whenever she is near one, her nose turns red). In the beginning, she calls up various thieves and legendary criminals from around the world, but later robotic drones are assembled to combat Machineman. By the end of the series, the missing Professor K returns, bringing with him the biggest threat the hero had ever faced: Golden Monsu, a fortified version of Tetsujin Monsu.
- The series' protagonist and main hero, Ken was born at the Ivy Planet and eventually graduated with a degree in Sociology. Upon arriving on Earth, his primary objective is studying human behavior and mannerisms in order to obtain his doctoral degree. However, upon meeting Maki and learn about Tentacle, he decides to stay longer in order to protect her and the children from Professor K's plans.
- Ball Boy (ボールボーイ Bōru Bōi): a baseball-shaped robot who is Nick's companion. Smart and clever, it usually serves as his friend, advisor and sidekick, to certain point. It is also used as a throwing projectile by Machineman in battles, under the name "Fighting Ball". Ironically, Ball Boy says it does not have any information about baseball.
- Maki Hayama (葉山 真紀 Hayama Maki): a photographer and journalist at Shukan Hit newspaper. She is involved in a traffic accident with Ken and they eventually become friends. She instantly falls for Machineman (exactly like Lois Lane and Superman) after being saved by him, but begins to fall in love with Ken a few episodes later.
- Masaru Hayama (葉山 勝 Hayama Masaru): Maki's 10-year old brother. Usually serves as victim of Tentacle's invests and is saved by Ken/Machineman.
- Editor-in-chief Henshu (編集長 Henshū Chō): The editor-in-chief of Shukan Hit, and Maki's boss.
- Rumiko (ルミ子): A member of Shukan Hit's junior editorial staff.
- Kameta (亀太): The greengrocer for the Hayama family.
- Hiroshi (浩), Saburo (三郎 Saburō), Yutaka (豊) & Misa (美佐): Masaru's classmates, that were involved with the incidents of Tentacle and Octopus.
To be added